The question of whether the buyer’s agent should attend the home inspection can be argued both ways, and even the most seasoned industry veterans can disagree. There are pros and cons for the buyers agent attending a home inspection, and this can even be influenced by the state and region that you’re in.
A good article about this debate can be found online in “Working RE”: http://www.workingre.com/should-agent-attend-home-inspection/ As you will read, this article surveyed experienced agents/brokers who have shared their opinions based on their real estate experience.
Some of the reasons the article found for the buyer’s agent attending the inspection included:
- the buyer’s agent being there can act as an intermediary to request clarifications from the inspector and to explain things to the buyer.
- it can be a helpful learning experience for the buyer’s agent, which will help them professionally for their next client.
And some of the reasons the article found for NOT attending were:
- being present can influence their client’s opinions towards or against something.
- it can open an argument about what the inspection is discovering.
- attending can extend the time of the inspection by several hours.
And the article also points out that some real estate agents chose a middle ground of being available during some part of the inspection process, but not there for its entirety.
Another good article on this topic can be found online at: http://blog.kw.com/ready.-set.-sell-helping-clients-through-inspections
As you will read, towards the bottom of the article it gives a good summary of the pros and cons of whether the buyer’s agent should attend the inspection. And in the comments section there are further arguments provided on both sides by various real estate agents.
I offer and pay for pre-inspection so that the inspection ordered by buyers will not surprise my sellers and will solve the dilemma: to attend or not…
READY TO MOVE?
Contact the team that will sell your house and will move you into your dream home.
We know how to market Real Estate and sell your home for top dollar.